Have you ever noticed a suspicious change in your WordPress dashboard, but didn’t got to know who did that? You might be wondering about the change and looking for the real culprit behind it. If yes, then we have a piece of good news for you.
WordPress Security Audit is an application that can help you to monitor user activity on your site. It can perform various monitoring tasks along with keeping your website organized. This plugin can prove to be extremely helpful in keeping your website secure from any kind of unauthorized activity.
In this blog post, we are going to share a complete guide on how you can configure WordPress Security Plugin to secure your website from unauthorized activities.
Which Activities Can be Tracked Using the WordPress Security Audit Plugin?
Table of Contents
There are dozens of activities that you can track with the help of the WordPress Security Audit plugin. The plugin will notify you every time whenever a user performs any of the following activity:
- Any Post, Post or Custom Change
- Changes made in the Category or Tag section.
- User profile changes.
- Any changes made in theme, plugins or database.
- Any Unauthorized login attempts
- Changes made in the menu section.
The Security Audit Plugin will give you information about a person’s username, IP address who have made the change. This data will help you to keep your website secure.
How One Can Use Security Audit Plugin to Monitor User Activity?
In order to get started, you need to install the WordPress Security Audit Log Plugin and activate it. Then, you can simply follow these steps to configure the Audit Plugin on your website:
1. How to Install and Activate the Security Audit Plugin?
- Once you’ve activated the plugin, you’ll see a setup wizard on your screen.
- The first step is to choose the level of logging.
- Your selected logging level will decide the security level and type of monitoring you want.
- You can either select the basic or the Geek level security.
- If you’re running a regular blog, selecting the basic option is enough.
- In case, you are conscious about your website security, then you can also go for the Geek option.
- On the next screen, it will ask you about the period for how long you wanna store the data.
- Now, it will ask you to select the persons who would have access to the Activity Log data.
- We recommend you to keep the default settings.
- On the next screen, you can restrict some specific users from using your website if you want to.
- Tap on the Next button and the configuration process is done.
2. How to View and Use the Security Audit Log Data?
- Once the setup is done, you can view the data log to monitor the activity of users on your website.
- Navigate to the Audit Log option located at the left menu bar.
- Under the Audit Log option, tap on the Audit Log Viewer option.
- On the next screen, you will see different activities performed by users on your website.
- You will information about the user who made the change, date and time of the change and IP address of the user.
- You can also enable or disable some events which matter or don’t matter to you.